Weatherization Agency Priorities and Service
The Division of Energy Services contracts with various agencies throughout the state to provide weatherization services to eligible households. Agencies include community action agencies, housing authorities, local governments and other non-profit organizations.
The weatherization agency for your area, We Are Hope INC, will receive a list of eligible applicants from WHEAP and will determine service priority and the eligibility for your home. Your weatherization agency will contact the highest priority households to evaluate the home and decide what weatherization services are needed. Appropriate weatherization services will be completed by agency crews and subcontractors.
Implementing basic weatherization services will:
- Reduce your home heating bills
- Save energy
- Make your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer
Weatherization services differ with each home depending on how it was built and its condition. Some common weatherization services include:
- Insulate attics, walls and floors
- Insulate or replace water heater
- Install energy efficient lighting
- Reduce air leakage
- Repair or replace furnace
- Test and/or replace refrigerator
- Perform a general health and safety inspection
You may be eligible for weatherization services if:
- You received benefits from WHEAP or your gross income for the last three months is equal to or less than 60 percent of Wisconsin's state median income for your family size. See the Income Guidelines table for qualifying income levels.
- Your dwelling/apartment has not been weatherized before.
- Your household meets certain priorities that may include a high energy burden or use, an elderly or disabled member or a child under six.
Applying for energy assistance at your local Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) agency is the first step in determining your eligibility for weatherization services.
For more information on WHEAP and how to apply, please visit online or call 1-866-HEATWIS (432-8947).